The Chilterns Landscape
Greater than the sum of its parts
The Chilterns landscape is a rich mosaic of habitats including woodland, open meadows and commons, streams and mixed farmland which each supporting its own unique wildlife and natural character. The landscape comes alive when it is connected by a network of fields, hedgerows, parklands, gardens and roadside verges.
However, year on year these connections across the landscape are being eroded and fragmented by a swathe of pressures including increased demand for housing, a move towards larger scale farming practices, increasing transport infrastructure and changes in land use. To restore life back into the Chilterns we need to restore these connections across the landscape.
We are committed to:
- The development of landscape-scale conservation initiatives
- Reducing the impact of invasive non-native pests and diseases
- Restoring and protecting our most valued habitats
- Protected wildlife species characteristic of the Chilterns
- Facilitate and coordinate local wildlife groups and projects
- Seek to develop and support projects that maintain and enhance wildlife corridors across the landscape
- Campaign for wildlife friendly planning that ensures development leaves biodiversity better off
- Lobby Government on large infrastructure and planning projects to ensure that wildlife protection and enhancement measures are incorporated
- Ensure that wildlife policies are incorporated into all Local Plans
- Work with planning authorities and developers to seek to incorporate wildlife enhancement measures into planning applications
How you can help
Stay in touch
Subscribe to our e-news and stay up to date with the latest news, events, offers and more from across the Chilterns.
Make a donation
As a charity, we don’t receive any state grant or subsidy for our work. Please help us care for the Chilterns by making a donation here.
Become a member
Chiltern Society membership is a very simple way to do something practical to help protect and maintain the Chilterns’ landscape and way of life.
Get involved with caring for the Chilterns and meet new friends along the way. Choose from a wide variety of fascinating volunteering opportunites.