Location: Chilterns Wide, please refer to list of specific areas below
Hours: Variable, depending on location and how much you’re able to commit. This is a very flexible volunteer role.
Are you concerned about new developments in your local area? If so, we’d like you to join our friendly Planning Group. As an organisation, we are concerned about the growing pressure for new housing and commercial development across the Chilterns.
The Planning Group consists of a team of volunteer Planning Field Officers (PFOs) and is supported by our Planning Officer. Volunteers come from a wide variety of backgrounds and no specialist knowledge is required as training and guidance will be provided. You would take responsibility for identifying and responding to planning applications in your local area. You will need to be well organised, have an enquiring mind and, above all, have an enthusiasm for protecting the local landscape and heritage.
Our aim is to influence the planning system by working with local councils to ensure that the Society’s priorities are included in Local Plans and that planning applications fully consider potential impacts on the Chilterns landscape. We focus particularly on impacts on the Chilterns Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) and the Green Belt.
One of the primary aims of our Planning Group is to firmly resist the worst excesses of the development industry wherever we can; while at the same time taking the opportunity to promote high standards of planning and architecture across the Chilterns.
The role of our PFOs is as follows:
- Planning Field Officers are the Society’s ‘eyes and ears’ on the ground in relation to planning and development issues in a specific local area.
- They monitor and respond to planning applications throughout the Chilterns but especially those affecting the designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB), Green Belt and open countryside.
- They provide advice to Local Authorities, developers and members of the public on planning issues relating to the protection of the Chilterns landscape.
- They work with the Society’s Planning Officer to advise on local issues to seek to influence emerging Local Plans
We have vacancies in the following areas:
- PFO Chiltern South – Chenies, Seer Green
- PFO Dacorum M – Flamstead, Markyate
- PFO Watlington & Adjacent – Aston Rowant, Chinnor, Crowell, Cuxham, Lewknor, Pishill with Stonor, Pyrton, Shirburn, Watlington
- PFO Wycombe North – Ellesborough, Great and Little Hampden, Great and Little Kimble Cum Marsh, Lacey Green
- PFO Wycombe South East – Bourne End, Chepping Wycombe, Hedsor, Great Marlow, Little Marlow, Marlow Bottom, Marlow Town, Wooburn
- PFO Aylesbury Vale North – Edlesborough, Ivinghoe, Marsworth, Pitstone
- PFO Central Beds – All Parishes
Alternatively you can email our Volunteer Co-ordinator or call us on 01494 771250 to find out more about this role.