Do you enjoy being out and about in the countryside? If so, you may like the idea of playing an interesting and satisfying role in helping to preserve and improve the existing network of footpaths and bridleways in the Chilterns.
We currently have Area Secretary vacancies that we urgently need to fill in three important areas of the Chilterns:
- The first covers the parishes of Chartridge, Cholesbury cum St. Leonards, Great Missenden, Little Missenden, Penn and The Lee.
- The second covers Bledlow cum Saunderton, Downley, Hughenden, Piddington and Wheeler End, Radnage, Stokenchurch and West Wycombe.
- The third covers Eaton Bray, Kensworth, Studham, Totternhoe, Whipsnade
The role of Area Secretaries has three main elements:
- representing the Chiltern Society’s interest in successful development of the local path network. This means considering and responding to all proposals from Local Authorities for change to the network and, wherever possible, putting forward proposals of their own to improve it.
- deploying a group of Path Representatives to carry out regular monitoring of paths and report any problem they find with their condition or waymarking.
- on receiving those reports to arrange appropriate follow up action with a view to remedying the problems found.
These roles offer every opportunity to get out and about in the countryside and to liaise about path issues with other Area Secretaries, Local Authority Officers, and sometimes members of the public. Previous experience is not important.
Area Secretaries are invited to four liaison meetings a year with other ROWG Committee members.
What’s in it for you? The satisfaction of knowing that you’re helping to sustain and improve a path network offering enormous opportunity to all those who appreciate the countryside; and working with a group of like-minded individuals in a growing team of Chiltern Society volunteers.
If you’d like to know more, please contact Brian Lawson on 01494 815814.